Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Flowers on Patterson Avenue

Fall has arrived and honestly, it is my favorite season. It is a season of change which is beautiful to witness. Most people do not like change, but it happens whether we welcome it or not.

Yesterday afternoon I had meeting and class after work. I had awakened yesterday morning around 3:00 am and could not go back to sleep. I was very tired by the end of the work day, and forced myself to stay awake as I drove from Silver Spring, MD all the way to Exit 20 on 695 in Baltimore, MD. It was about a 40 mile drive that took slightly over an hour. My first meeting went well. I was driving down Patterson Avenue to get to my church where the class I am taking is held. There is a house on that street that has the most beautiful gardens. I double checked my car clock, and I had enough time to stop by this house and get a closer look before the start of my class.

I want to point out something very important here. I have admired this house and the gardens surrounding it for about three years. I simply pass it as I go to church. I did not know the person who lives in the house. The great thing is, since I am part of the Evangelism Ministry, and often create an encounter with Jesus Christ with complete stranger's at their door, at a bus stop, on the streets of Baltimore, that I wasn't afraid to be alone and ring the bell of a complete stranger.

The door cracked open after my second ring, and a person was peering through the crack. I said, "Hello, my name is Laura and I am from New Psalmist Baptist Church. I just stopped by because I admire your lovely gardens." The door completely opened, and a very nice woman about my mom's age stepped out onto the porch. The first thing she said to me was, "Thank goodness you are not Jehovah Witness." I laughed to myself, we get that a lot when we go witnessing.

The woman and I stood on her porch and talked for about 20 minutes or so. She told me that she has to hire two men to help her with all her gardens. She also told me how when she is out tending her gardens people will stop their cars in the middle of Patterson Avenue to talk with her. She has to remind them, that stopping on a heavily traveled street is dangerous. She also told me, "People tell me my house is the most beautiful house on this street. I tell them I don't want my house to be the most beautiful one, but one of many beautiful houses." We then talked about different houses on her block and I shared that one of my neighbors has a hard time cutting their lawn and at times due to the tall grass people think the house is abandoned. We have to call the Health Department on them to get them to cut their lawn.

The thing I realized as we stood in the afternoon sun chatting was that she was viewed by many of her neighbors and others as "different" or "special" because of the hard work, time, and money she and her husband put into their gardens and home, but she did not think that about herself at all. She thinks  all her neighbors have to do is put a bit more effort, time and money into their homes and yards and they would look just as lovely as hers does.  She does not think they have to do what she is doing, but do the best they can do with what they have.  She has lived in her neighborhood a long time, and knows that people have different priorities, but she also knows that a little more time and effort goes a long way.

We finally introduced ourselves formerly. Her name is Maryland. She gave me an open invitation to walk through her back gardens the next time I was running early to church. We said our goodbyes and I feel as if I have met a new friend that shares my interests and values.

As I drove on to church I thought about what Maryland said about wishing she was just one of many beautiful houses on her street. She spoke about the time, resources, and energy to tend gardens as lovely has hers, and how tiring it is, especially as she is a senior citizen, but even as fall approaches her gardens bring so much pleasure and joy. She said people tell her that a house and gardens like hers do not belong where she lives in Baltimore. She believes all people are capable of great beauty if they just put in the effort to create it.

Being with Maryland reminded me how much God wants for each of His children. He wants each of us to know Him and be in a personal relationship with him, so He can show us what we need to do to reach those in the world who are loss and fulfill our purpose in life with much success. We have an open invitation to spend time with Him daily. He loves us so much. He longs for use to spend time with Him one-to-one.

Seasons change, but not God. People may let us down, but not God. We may get tired of doing the right thing when it seems as if no one else is, but not God. No matter the season we are facing in our lives, no matter how many changes we may be going through, God is the same. He always loves us, no matter what.

Bible Verse:
The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail

No comments: